The group approaching the Triumphal Arch

The group approaching the Triumphal Arch

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yaaay Brussels!! Today, my first FULL day in Brussels was very eventful. We got up early and went for a tour of the Grand Place, Dr. Sheridan, or Jerry, knows an incredible amount about the "story each building has to tell" in the Grand Place. This is what I managed to retain from his tour.. the Grand Place was destroyed by the Spanish, all the building were destroyed by the fire that the canons and torches showered on Brussels. Except the town hall which was built circa year 990 because the belgians spent so much effort putting out the fires to save this building which meant so much to them! (its the building on the right in the nighttime picture I put up) The rest of brussels was basically flattened. So... they rebuilt it! But not only that.. they rebuilt the Grand Place and 4000 other buildings in 3 years! THAT is an accomplishment - I don't think that could be done today.. and you should see these buildings- no this isn't the cheap stuff developers throw up nowadays either. NO these are building that tell stories! In the Grande Place, each building represents a different guild in belgium- such as the tailors and the cabinet makers. Each has beautiful sculptures and inscriptions about the foundations of society and the purpose of different aspects of each guild, as well as philosophical statements about humanity.

On more personal news, today I also moved in with my home-stay family! I was elated to find out that I would be living with a family with kids my age and a dog and a pool! Geraldine, 20, and Alexi, 18, picked me up and helped me lug my gigantic american bag downstairs and into their cute little european car! They explained that their parents were out of town until Sunday and that their aunt was staying with them for a couple days, so I can't move into my room yet. So for now, I'm in their music/play room. I like it! There is a guitar and a piano and a view of the pretty back yard and pool! But eventually I will have a room near the stars and the door that has its own bathroom and desk :)

The house is beautiful, and I enjoyed hanging out the Geraldine and Alexi's friends today.. but its been kinda stressful for me to adjust to a lot of the changes. They know english decently, but its a chore for them to speak in English. My french has become very rusty over the last 3 weeks, so my brain has been scrambling to make sense of all this french conversation flying over my head. But its slowly coming together. It's frustrating when you realize at a dinner conversation that every time you say something in english you interrupt the flow of conversation :( And as most of you know, its not quite natural for me to be quiet and speechless.. but I've been taking on this new persona somewhat- to spend the time listening to things I can pick up. This is definitely incentive to pull out the French/English dictionary and take some notes! I'm sure many of you are glad to hear I'm doing the listening for once!

To end on the most beautiful part of the day. I met to awesome belgium kids that I'm getting to know! They are very well mannered...I'm envious of this and other things about them. My favorite moment of the day was sitting in their beautiful back yard with Geraldine and her boyfriend and the Dog (BEST DOG IN THE WORLD), playing with the dog, talking about music..and laughing. Its a beautiful place, and though its stressful and awkward to adjust to foreign people in a foreign country, as I looked out the window of the car tonight into down town belgium I felt how much I love adventure. This is it folks. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yea, Robin and Dorothy Hutchison and I loved hearing about your first day and family. We want pictures of the house and the people. Love to you from all and here's to adventures!

    ReplyDelete

The Grand Palace - the first night

The Grand Palace - the first night