The group approaching the Triumphal Arch

The group approaching the Triumphal Arch

Monday, August 24, 2009

On your mark, get set..

Here is a summary of all the reasons I wanted to study abroad in Brussels, other than the famous Waffles, chocolate beer, and french fries!

Brussels is rapidly emerging as the capital of Europe. It is the home of the European Union and its accompanying array of diplomats, politicians, lobbyists and reporters. It is the headquarters of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the key institution in transatlantic security cooperation. It is the meeting point for thousands of international corporations and non-governmental international organizations. When you are in Brussels, you are in the center of European decision-making.

During my studies of International Studies at AU, I became very interested in International Environmental Agreements. As many of you know, one of my greatest passions is for the environment! I've been fascinated by the Kyoto Protocol and progress made on the international arena to try and preserve the environment. Europe has been much more progressive than the United States in its efforts to prevent climate change and to find and implement alternative forms of energy. I'm interested to learn about how the EU works, isn't it fascinating that all of those countries are working together to try and meet common goals on many different levels? I'm sure its a messy process, but maybe a sign of growing peace in the world!

Today is monday, I'm leaving to fly to belgium in 3 days! I'm pretty nervous right now about getting to know everyone in the group and meeting my home-stay family in Brussels! I'm sure it will be great though!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you gotta lot of catching up to do since Monday! Want to hear about your family and your address!

    ReplyDelete

The Grand Palace - the first night

The Grand Palace - the first night